CPython exceeded allowed resource quotas: What are these quotas? Can them be increased?

victor.stinner

04 Jun, 2018 08:12 AM

Hi,

The CPython (reference implementation of Python) is using the AppVeyor services since February 2017, since it moved to GitHub. For of all, thank you very much for giving us free CPU cycles to our open source project! AppVeyor is very useful to detect regressions on Windows.

Last week, we started to get "Build exceeded allowed resource quotas. Fix your build to consume less resources or contact AppVeyor support to request quotas increase." errors. I don't know what are these quotas. What is the maximum duration of a build for example? How much disk I/O? etc. Where can I find more info about these quotas?

Currently, AppVeyor became the bottleneck of our workflow, because it is a mandatory CI. If AppVeyor doesn't pass, a pull request cannot be merged. Sadly, it seems like our account is limited to one build in parallel. Would it be possible to get more builds in parallel?

For more information, see:

* https://bugs.python.org/issue33764 the quota issue
* https://bugs.python.org/issue33765 side effect of the quota? AppVeyor currently doesn't create new builds for CPython...
* https://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-committers/2018-June/005532.html Discussion about reducing the number of builds. How can I ask AppVeyor to only run tests on pull requests, but not on commits once they are merged?

Thanks in advance,
Victor

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Ilya Finkelshte... on 04 Jun, 2018 07:22 PM

Hi Victor,

• Regarding disk quota -- we are extremely sorry. This was not your fault, but side effect of build worker image update. You should be good now.

• To limit limit builds only on PRs, you have 2 options:

• Do not build feature branches with open Pull Requests in UI (skip_branch_with_pr: true if you use YAML). But this option will not let you build skip initial commit to the feature branch.
      • To build only PRs, you can simple disable Pushes event in GitHub Webhook settings.
  2. Support Staff 2 Posted by Ilya Finkelshte... on 04 Jun, 2018 07:43 PM

We decided to donate additional parallel job to the python account. Let us know how it goes.

Also we can increase build timeout to 90 minutes, if you need.

3. 3 Posted by victor.stinner on 04 Jun, 2018 08:40 PM

Wow. A lot of excellent good news! Thanks for the quick feedback and thank you very much for the donated parallel build! Does it mean a maximum of 2 jobs in parallel?

For the 90 min timeout, I think that we are good since a full build (download + compile + run tests) usually take less than 15 minutes.

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by Ilya Finkelshte... on 04 Jun, 2018 08:47 PM

Welcome :) Yes, it maximum of 2 jobs in parallel for account. This means of one project already consuming one build job at the moment of time, another one (in the same python account) have one job slot available. If you need need only some subsets of projects to take advantage of this, you can use max_jobs (Max jobs if you use UI) setting to limit other projects. But for start I would recommend to leave all settings as is and see how fast your build queue started to dissolve now.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

18 Aug, 2018 12:13 AM
17 Aug, 2018 09:45 PM
17 Aug, 2018 06:02 PM