appveyor.yml and assembly info patching

Sebastien Lambla

31 Jan, 2015 01:40 PM

Hi guys,

couple of notes on the assembly info patching.

First, the yml export is incorrect. It suggests that file: '**\AssemblyInfo.*' will work if such a value was used previously on the web site. Unfortunately, you need to double the \\. Very confusing.

Secondly, there is no feedback on if patching did anything at all, only at the end of a build can u see if it happened. It'd be awfully useful to know what files were found if any.

Thirdly, I tend to use / in paths as it's a vaid path separator on windows and every other commonly-used platform, but the assembly patcher doesn't support that, which is a shame.

Lastly, the documentation suggests simply using "AssemblyInfo.*". It may well be a PBKAC, but when building a solution, that doesn't appear to work on my solutions.

Hope it helps.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Feodor Fitsner on 31 Jan, 2015 03:59 PM

Great findings - thanks for reporting that! Will do more tests and fix the issues.

2. 2 Posted by Matt Davis on 02 Feb, 2015 09:36 PM

I am having similar issues trying to work out if anything has been patched sucessfuly.
    I always get: Patching AssemblyInfo...OK but clearly nothing has been.

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Feodor Fitsner on 05 Feb, 2015 05:19 AM

We've added more status messages while patching assembly infos. Sample output:

4. 4 Posted by ericnewton76 on 06 Jan, 2018 09:53 PM

Is it possible to utilize environment variables here?

Or alternatively is there a suggestion for an assemblyinfo patcher to use instead?

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by Ilya Finkelshte... on 08 Jan, 2018 09:41 PM

As said in the documentation: You can use environment variables substitution in file name and version formats.

Some more details: Variables {version}, {build}, {branch} are shortcuts implemented specifically to use with patching. Use them exactly as described (in {} curly brackets).

All other environment variables can be used too, but use them using standard environment variable notation -- $(variable). Two other common environment variable notations (%variable% and ${variable}) will work too.

6. 6 Posted by ericnewton76 on 10 Jan, 2018 07:26 PM

Ah yes! I ended up finding that out after waking up the next morning.

During the Init phase, I end up creating an environment variable "APPVEYOR_BUILD_SEMVER" that can be used for the AssemblyInformationalInfo and for the actual BuildId

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac