Build failing for no obvious reason...

José Simões

15 Sep, 2018 10:00 AM

Hi,
Could you please take a look at this build:
https://ci.appveyor.com/project/xinchen10/amqpnetlite/build/2.0.0.209/job/7mjsbg75xtwx7302

and let me know why the 1st job is failing? I can't see any details or error messages....

Thanks!

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Owen McDonnell on 16 Sep, 2018 07:10 AM

What about the compilation errors starting here?

2. 2 Posted by José Simões on 16 Sep, 2018 09:38 AM

oh my... that's embarrassing...
    You are obviously right and that is the cause for the failure.

I swear I've look at the log a number of times and totally missed that!

Suggestion for a future enhancement (very handy for dumbs like me) highlight the build error messages with a red colour. It can be difficult to spot those, specially in logs with hundreds of thousands lines on which the error doesn't spot the build immediately and, therefore, the root cause is not right at the very end of the log output.

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Owen McDonnell on 16 Sep, 2018 04:18 PM

If you remove the pipe to Write-Output does that compilation error still remain un-highlighted?

4. 4 Posted by José Simões on 19 Sep, 2018 01:32 PM

I've removed the pipe but I can't see any highlight on compilation/build errors...
    Please check it here: https://ci.appveyor.com/project/xinchen10/amqpnetlite/build/2.0.0.218/job/yqs9b30kreptelm8

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by Owen McDonnell on 19 Sep, 2018 05:08 PM

You could try changing your build_script: from powershell to cmd. I'm not an expert on these shell interaction subtleties, but it seems the error is being interpreted differently once returned to build machine's custom powershell host. Probably could also explicity add a $LastExitCode check in the powershell script to more explicitly detect and present errors in a more readable way.

6. José Simões closed this discussion on 18 Oct, 2018 10:03 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac