AppVeyor often fails without explanation

teo.tsirpanis.718

15 Sep, 2018 10:27 PM

I'm building an F#/.NET Core project on AppVeyor, and since the last week, building fails with no clear explanation, and always at these lines:

Download of Mono.Cecil 0.10 (Test) done in 280 milliseconds. (18780 kbit/s, 0 MB)
Downloading NETStandard.Library 2.0.2
Download of NETStandard.Library 2.0.2 done in 457 milliseconds. (54927 kbit/s, 2 MB)
Script reported an error:
-> ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null.
   Parameter name: s

I am using the Paket dependency manager and building fails when it gets run.

Almost every time, even after I rebuild it. Yet, it sometimes succeeds!

I have no idea what is causing it. After a successful build, I do not change anything in the build system that caused the build to fail; I just changed source code files.

As a sidenote, this kind of failure has never happened in neither of my two machines. I persume it is a network failure, i.e. AppVeyor servers cannot contact GitHub, or something like this.

I also considered moving to CircleCI, but it didn't get any better.

Can somebody help me? Thanks.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Owen McDonnell on 19 Sep, 2018 07:34 AM

I don't see that two builds of the same commit had different outcomes in your project build history. Perhaps you can point me to them.

It doesn't look like a network error since in all the failed builds, all packages are finished downloading.

Have you tried a more verbose build as hinted at?

2. 2 Posted by teo.tsirpanis.7... on 19 Sep, 2018 08:42 AM

I don't see that two builds of the same commit had different outcomes in your project build history. Perhaps you can point me to them.

Here is one, and yet again.

It doesn't look like a network error since in all the failed builds, all packages are finished downloading.

Maybe it's not, and I can't be 100% sure, because package downloading happens at the same batch line. But this performance report at the end appears even in cases of Paket's failure.

Have you tried a more verbose build as hinted at?

Yes, but it still hints me to run the verbose build, so I guess it didn't work at all.

Nevertheless, the last build still do succeed, so I ~~guess~~ hope it is a temporary failure of something.

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Owen McDonnell on 20 Sep, 2018 11:19 PM

Those builds you point to are both failures of the same kind. I thought you were saying that you had identical commits that sometimes succeeded and other times failed.

It may have been some server outage. We can keep this thread open for now and let us know if the problem recurs.

4. Owen McDonnell closed this discussion on 24 Oct, 2018 09:30 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac