Deployment error's are not getting listed in the MESSAGES tab

Pure Krome

05 Dec, 2018 12:37 AM

I have a deployment error. It's a legit error. k- great.

When i click in the MESSAGES tab, I don't see the error listed in there at all. I see heaps of warning messages (which, btw .. are also legit .. :~( )

Could we please have deployment errors also listed in the MESSAGES tab?

I'm also assuming that all errors get listed FIRST in the MESSAGES/TESTS tabs .... so it's easy to see/find those, first.

1. 1 Posted by Pure Krome on 05 Dec, 2018 12:38 AM

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by Ilya Finkelshte... on 05 Dec, 2018 04:56 PM

You should be able to see this failed deployment in the Deployments tab for the project. However I agree that having it in the Messages tab would make it easier to connect specific deployment error with a specific build. We did not think about this approach. What we plan is to add an option to make Environment deployments synchronous, so build will wait for environment deployment to finish and fail is deployment failed. Would be a better option for you? Also for now you can add a notification at Environment level so you got notified by other means (email, Slack etc.).

3. 3 Posted by Pure Krome on 05 Dec, 2018 10:05 PM

You should be able to see this failed deployment in the Deployments tab for the project

Nope - it's not listed in there, either. It's not an environmental deployment .. but a webdeploy that's inline in the yml file.

What we plan is to add an option to make Environment deployments synchronous Currently, they are async .. which is why we are not using them (refer to point, above). So making this change would be lovely!

Would be a better option for you? That would definitely help. If we still choose not to use Environment Deployments (and use Inline deployments ... well .. that's how I describe it) .. then we would still need to see the error messages easily logged ... somewhere accessible like the Messages tab, please :)

Also for now you can add a notification at Environment level so you got notified by other means (email, Slack etc.).

Not sure how this could help us right now. An example might be able to explain, bettter.

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by Ilya Finkelshte... on 05 Dec, 2018 10:29 PM

Sorry, I did not pay enough attention to your screenshot. If this is a webdeploy that's inline in the yml file, then build should fail in case deployment failed, right?

5. 5 Posted by Pure Krome on 06 Dec, 2018 01:37 AM

correct. and it did fail.

it was trying to figure out 'what happened', easily. I would have thought that, clicking on the MESSAGES tab, which would easily show all ERRORS at the top would be a great and quick way to triage the errored-build.

Instead, i'll have to scroll down (and it's a REALLY big scroll list for our builds) to find the error. Luckily in this case it was pretty simple -> error at the bottom of the file.

But it's more about the process of easily discovering errors and warnings and to hopefully leverage the existing UI :)

6. Support Staff 6 Posted by Ilya Finkelshte... on 06 Dec, 2018 01:42 AM

We are thinking of ability to collapse build steps in UI, will this help?

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Already uploaded files

• Untitled.png 20.7 KB

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac