Issues with upgrade of azure cloud service deployment with virtual network settings

Fredrik Lindström

26 Mar, 2015 02:06 PM

Hi, I'm trying to deploy our cloud service via appveyor and place each worker role onto a subnet within a virtual network. The error I'm getting is the following:
Upgrading existing deployment in Production environment...BadRequest: A virtual network site cannot be added or removed during deployment update or upgrade.

As far as I can tell I need to set AzureDeploymentReplacementMethod to CreateAndDelete instead of the default value of AutomaticUpgrade. I can't any way to set this value on the settings page of a deployment environment in Appveyor. Did I miss something obvious?

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Feodor Fitsner on 26 Mar, 2015 02:19 PM

Hi Fredrik,

How do you currently deploy (without AppVeyor) where you can set AzureDeploymentReplacementMethod?

-Feodor

2. 2 Posted by Fredrik Lindstr... on 26 Mar, 2015 02:46 PM

It can be set during manual publish from Visual Studio under advanced settings (by unchecking the upgrade deployment option). These settings are stored under the profiles folder in the VS solution.

I was mistaken earlier, the correct value in my case is the following
    <AzureDeploymentReplacementMethod>DeleteAndCreate</AzureDeploymentReplacementMethod>

3. 3 Posted by Fredrik Lindstr... on 26 Mar, 2015 03:55 PM

There is some detailed info regarding this specific issue here: http://www.concurrency.com/blog/a-virtual-network-site-cannot-be-added-or-removed-during-deployment-update-or-upgrade-when-deploying-updates-to-cloud-services/

To summarise:
    My specific scenario works with either
    <AzureDeploymentReplacementMethod>DeleteAndCreate</AzureDeploymentReplacementMethod>
    or
    <AzureDeploymentReplacementMethod>BlastUpgrade</AzureDeploymentReplacementMethod>
    <AzureFallbackToDeleteAndRecreateIfUpgradeFails>True</AzureFallbackToDeleteAndRecreateIfUpgradeFails>

4. 4 Posted by Fredrik Lindstr... on 26 Mar, 2015 04:00 PM

And I think that the default setting of <AzureDeploymentReplacementMethod>AutomaticUpgrade</AzureDeploymentReplacementMethod> would also work as long as <AzureFallbackToDeleteAndRecreateIfUpgradeFails> is set to true

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by Feodor Fitsner on 26 Mar, 2015 07:05 PM

OK, I see now what you mean. AppVeyor uses Windows Azure Management API to work with cloud services. This "DeleteAndCreate" scenario is currently not supported, but I'm adding a new issue to implement that: https://github.com/appveyor/ci/issues/218

6. 6 Posted by Fredrik Lindstr... on 24 Apr, 2015 09:33 AM

Working quite nicely, thank you Feodor! :)

7. Ilya Finkelshteyn closed this discussion on 25 Aug, 2018 01:55 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

22 Mar, 2019 07:18 PM
22 Mar, 2019 02:20 PM
22 Mar, 2019 11:00 AM