Wildcards for artifacts work in YML but not in UI?

Dejan Budimir

20 May, 2019 06:06 AM

I have this in my appveyor.yml:

deploy:
  - provider: Environment
    name: GH
    artifact: deploy*.zip
    on:
      branch: master
      READY_TO_DEPLOY: 1
Here the artifact line works, but when I try to move it into the UI field ("Artifact(s) to deploy") it fails to find (or push) the artifact.

So far I've tried these variations: deploy\*.zip, deploy\\*.zip, deploy/*.zip, 'deploy\*.zip', and "deploy\*.zip".

Also: if I leave one of those non-working strings inside the UI field, it seems that it is not overriden by the artifact line in the yml.

Note: I'm trying to keep the yml short (and as much of the info in it private) so I'm interested in filling in all the available inputs in the UI first. In this case, it's really unnecessary. Nevertheless, this may be a bug and so I thought I'd tell you about it.

Thanks for AV, Cheers!

1. 1 Posted by Dejan Budimir on 20 May, 2019 08:07 AM

Apologies, a small oversight. The snippet above didn't format as expected. The backspace was swallowed. This is what it should have said:

artifact: deploy\*.zip

Also the workaround to all this, of course, would be to give the artifact a name, and put that name in the UI:

artifacts:
      - path: deploy\*.zip
        name: zip

Cheers!
  2. Support Staff 2 Posted by Owen McDonnell on 20 May, 2019 05:29 PM

I suggest you familiarize yourself with the interplay between UI and yaml config by reading this.
    For the most part it is one or the other, i.e. if you have a config file your UI settings are largely ignored.

3. 3 Posted by Dejan Budimir on 21 May, 2019 02:47 PM

Thanks, Owen!

It’s worth noticing that both appveyor.yml and UI configuration are mutually exclusive.

Worth noticing Indeed! It did feel like I was missing something crucial.

I suggest you put this at the top of the "Appveyor.yml reference" section as well. Thank you!

4. 4 Posted by Dejan Budimir on 21 May, 2019 03:13 PM

I may have been thrown off by the UI's Tag name, Release name, Release description, Github authentication token, etc. not being mentioned in the sample yml.

# Deploy to GitHub Releases
      - provider: GitHub
        artifact: /.*\.nupkg/           # upload all NuGet packages to release assets
        draft: false
        prerelease: false
        on:
          branch: master                # release from master branch only
          APPVEYOR_REPO_TAG: true       # deploy on tag push only

It's hard to see how to specify them in the file. Possibly as tag_name, release_name, etc.? ( It seems that description is the key and not release_description or message. )

A "workaround" might be to use the Build Worker API. For Release message it seems that ps: Update-AppveyorBuild -Message ... should work.

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by Owen McDonnell on 21 May, 2019 04:02 PM

Yes, a release description is mandatory for deployment to GitHub releases.
    Here is the relevant section in the docs.

Also, if you make any UI settings changes and are unsure how to put them into a config file, you can always go to Export YAML tab of project settings.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac