Commands in Docker images are much slower than on native

keneanung

13 Aug, 2019 01:21 PM

Hello,

I'm trying to dockerize a Windows build environment, but my builds time out because rinning the necessary compile commands seem to run much slower than when they are natively. Compare the timestamps of commands in https://ci.appveyor.com/project/keneanung/mudlet-build-docker/builds/26661828 (the dockerization) and https://ci.appveyor.com/project/Mudlet/mudlet/builds/26589624 (on native Windows).

I turned off redirection of script output to see why the builds time out, otherwise the scripts are the same.

Is there any advice you can give?

Kind regards,
Florian

Edit: Use a better dockerization example

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Ilya Finkelshte... on 14 Aug, 2019 05:56 PM

Hi Florian,

Can you please try image called Windows Server 2019? It was developed for this kind of workloads and available per request. We enabled it for you. Usage example is here, but it is just FYI, as I think that you can just use your existing build scenario and only change the image in the appveyor.yml. Let us know how it goes.

Ilya.

2. 2 Posted by keneanung on 15 Aug, 2019 08:06 AM

Hey Ilya,

I'm still testing this, but to give an update on my progress:

Since the base image is an ltsc2016-image, I needed to specify the --isolation=hyperv flag.

I am not sure why, but calls to the MinGW bash fail on the new server, while they worked perfectly fine on the old.

Thanks for your assistance,
    Florian

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Ilya Finkelshte... on 15 Aug, 2019 05:21 PM

Note that you can RDP to this build VM and debug locally. Keep in mind that build-specific environment variables are not available in RDP session (for security reasons) and you might need to re-set them or some of them manually.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac