AppVeyor builds take a lot of time because evaluating the test results takes a lot of time

kittyfisto87

03 Mar, 2020 08:39 PM

I have an appveyor project (https://ci.appveyor.com/project/Kittyfisto/sharptail) which takes roughly 2-3 minutes to execute as measured by the console output. Once about 3 minutes have elapsed, the build itself is done.

However the job itself will still be pending at that time because appveyor is incredibly slow at actually evaluating the test output which is most certainly caused by the number of tests in my job (~8k). At the time of writing, the console output shows that the job is finished, yet the test tab only shows ~5000 tests, counting upwards to 8k at an extremely slow rate (a few tests per second), this is 20 minutes in, mind you.

In the past, this job had less than 1000 tests where this issue was less prevalent. Is this "slowdown" intentional or am I merely hitting a corner case? This makes using the CI pipeline quite slows as I'm lucky if I get to run two jobs per hour at this rate (even though the CI is only effectively used for 3 minutes per job).

At this rate I'm thinking of skipping the "tests" tab completely and not have appveyor parse my test result file.

1. 1 Posted by kittyfisto87 on 03 Mar, 2020 08:46 PM

I've attached three screenshots which show the problem. The build is long finished (pending_build3.png) showing that all ~8k tests have run and no test has failed, yet AppVeyor has only evaluated (parsed?) ~6800 tests after 30 minutes.

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by Feodor Fitsner on 04 Mar, 2020 04:49 AM

Will be looking into that. It definitely looks like an issue.

3. Feodor Fitsner closed this discussion on 04 May, 2020 09:02 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac