2x CI workers start (instead of 1x) when I push a commit to my PR.

Pure Krome

05 Oct, 2020 09:51 AM

Hi,

I've noticed something weird -> when I push a commit up (from my localhost, up to origin/branch) to an open PR, CI kicks off (yay) but it actually creates 2x runs, not 1x. I'm not sure why?

What I have done:
- git pull origin/master - git branch adam - - commit (or multiple commits) - git push origin/adam - make a new PR from origin/adam -> origin/master - CI kicks off. (not sure if 1x or 2x ci workers). - fix some bugs. new commit. - git push origin/adam - CI kicks off 2x now <--- THIS

When I check the EVENTS, i see this:

and this is weird .. on the AV 'title' for one of the 2x builds, for the same commit:

Repo is OSS / public:

(i'm probably going to merge this PR soon, so it will be CLOSED .. but there's a history there to reference).

repo includes the appveyor.yml file, btw.

Can someone please help?

1. 1 Posted by Pure Krome on 05 Oct, 2020 09:57 AM

More info:

I just squash-merged (which I always do and have been doing for ages .. with no problems here in AV) .. and now it shows this:

I don't get what has happened :(

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by Feodor Fitsner on 05 Oct, 2020 05:23 PM

By default, when you push to a branch with opened PR GitHub fires both "push" and "pull_request" events, hence two builds: one is "branch" build and another one is "PR".

Add the following to appveyor.yml to build PR commit only:

skip_branch_with_pr: true

3. 3 Posted by Pure Krome on 05 Oct, 2020 11:32 PM

I've been using AV for ages and have never had to put this line into any of my appveyor.yml's, though?

are you sure? how can I compare two different repo's, both which don't have this line ... and one doesn't do this and one does? Like does GH have an 'events' history or something?

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by Feodor Fitsner on 06 Oct, 2020 04:28 PM

Yep, this behaviour has been always like that. GitHub sends two events when there is an opened PR: "push" event to the branch and "sync" event for PR - you can check that on "deliveries history" for webhook.

5. Feodor Fitsner closed this discussion on 06 Dec, 2020 09:03 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac