How to stop auto re-build on build failure

Joel Self

08 Jan, 2016 02:19 AM

Hi,

I've been having trouble setting up appveyor exactly how I want it and so I've been getting a lot of failed builds (my build is pretty complex). What i don't understand is why appveyor immediately starts a new build when the previous one failed and no changes have been made. If the previous one failed, why in the world would the next one succeed? Indeed they all fail, over and over and over. If I'm not watching, I could've started a build overnight and woken up to failed builds 0.1.3 through 0.1.66.

Is there a setting to stop this from happening?

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Feodor Fitsner on 08 Jan, 2016 02:31 AM

What account/project is that? What does project config look like?

2. 2 Posted by Joel Self on 08 Jan, 2016 02:19 PM

This is a project on a public github repository. It doesn't appear to be because it's failing now though. I let it run all night and it went from build 0.1.35 t 0.1.83 before I killed it. It might be because I added this to the appveyor.yaml:
    PowerShell on_success: - git config --global credential.helper store - git config --global push.default matching - ps: Add-Content "$env:USERPROFILE\.git-credentials" "https://$($env:access_token):x-oauth-basic@github.com`n" - git config --global user.email "[email blocked]" - git config --global user.name "Joel Self" - git add -A *.zip *.dll - git commit -m "Adding newly built binaries for release[ci skip]" - git push origin <pre><code>It's set to build on push, and it's automatically pushing after a build so that would send it into an infinite loop of builds. But: 1. A the commit message is always the same, and it's not &quot;Adding newly built binaries for release[ci skip]&quot; 2. And I added the `[ci skip]` to the commit message and these lines to the appveyor.yml:PowerShell skip_commits: message: /.*(README)|(Adding newly built binaries for release)|([ci skip]).*/ So I would think it wouldn't build on the automatic push-after-build and even if it did, it would show the build with the commit message Adding newly built binaries for release[ci skip].

So what could be causing this to build over and over again? I'm going to try and turn off the auto-push and see if that helps.

3. 3 Posted by Joel Self on 08 Jan, 2016 02:27 PM

Oh geez, code formatting did not work out right (wish I could edit it). Here they are properly formatted

on_success:
      - git config --global credential.helper store
      - git config --global push.default matching
      - ps: Add-Content "$env:USERPROFILE\.git-credentials" "https://$($env:access_token):x-oauth-basic@github.com`n"
      - git config --global user.email "[email blocked]"
      - git config --global user.name "Fake Name"
      - git add -A *.zip *.dll
      - git commit -m "Adding newly built binaries for release[ci skip]"
      - git push origin

skip_commits:
      message: /.*(README)|(Adding newly built binaries for release)|(\[ci skip\]).*/

Plus I noticed that it isn't actually pushing anything to my repository. My dlls and zips are all still from a month ago.

4. 4 Posted by Joel Self on 08 Jan, 2016 02:42 PM

Oh shoot, forgot you wanted my account/project on appveyor not github: it's joelself/fanncsharp

5. 5 Posted by Joel Self on 08 Jan, 2016 04:00 PM

So creating a new project doesn't mean I create new builds with the old build number. So I'm deleting the original project. Automated builds will just have to release through GitHub Releases.

6. 6 Posted by Joel Self on 08 Jan, 2016 04:32 PM

Okay, I think I get what was causing the looping builds. The release was creating a new tag, and I didn't have skip_tags: true. So every release created a new tag and every tag created a new build and every build created a new release. There should be warning about this somewhere.

7. Support Staff 7 Posted by Feodor Fitsner on 08 Jan, 2016 06:46 PM

Yeah, that was it. Thanks for the update.

8. Ilya Finkelshteyn closed this discussion on 25 Aug, 2018 02:03 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

17 Jul, 2019 12:16 AM
17 Jul, 2019 12:15 AM
16 Jul, 2019 10:50 PM