The license for Visual Studio has expired - Previous Visual Studio 2015

Jeff Klawiter

03 Oct, 2016 07:55 PM

Builds are failing with the previous VS 2015 image due to the license expiring.

I'm building a Visual Studio Installer project by invoking devenv in the command line. It fails with the following text.

Microsoft Visual Studio 2015 Version 14.0.25420.1. Copyright (C) Microsoft Corp. All rights reserved. The license for Visual Studio has expired. Your license for this product is expired and could not be refreshed. Please connect to the internet to continue to use this product.Command exited with code 1

I'm unable to switch to the latest build image due to a bug where VS Installer Projects no longer build . I had made another post about it but have not received a response. http://help.appveyor.com/discussions/problems/5340-building-visual-...

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Feodor Fitsner on 03 Oct, 2016 09:39 PM

Hi Jeff,

We'd like to reproduce the issue here on the current image. "Previous" won't always work as with the next update the current image will become previous and the build will be finally broken. We have to understand root cause and fix it. Other customers would benefit too.

How does devenv command look like in your case? Or maybe you can do a simple repro project in a public repository? That would help a lot. Thank you!

2. 2 Posted by Jeff Klawiter on 04 Oct, 2016 02:08 PM

Here is the command line with sensitive information replaced with client.project

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\Common7\IDE\devenv.com" Client.Project.Setup.sln /build Debug /project Installers\Douglas.Fumiguide.Setup\Client.Project.Setup.vdproj /projectconfig Debug /Out errorFile.txt

I understand with the previous, current image changing. That's why I made that other post about previous functionality being broken because once the images progress I'd be completely locked out.

3. 3 Posted by Jeff Klawiter on 04 Oct, 2016 02:11 PM

I just looked back on previous builds and Visual Studio was putting up messages of how long the license was valid for. On September 29th it said

The license for Visual Studio expires today.

And indeed on September 28th it had

The license for Visual Studio expires in 1 day

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by Feodor Fitsner on 05 Oct, 2016 01:19 AM

Hi Jeff,

We believe we've fixed the issue with building vdproj projects (test build results). We are going to deploy updated build worker image later this week/early next week.

In the meantime, you can run your builds on Google Compute Engine (GCE) environment. I added a new Visual Studio 2015 - GCE build worker image under TheNerdery account. If you use appveyor.yml then add image: Visual Studio 2015 - GCE to run that project on GCE; otherwise select image on Environment tab of AppVeyor project settings. Note, that build on GCE starts in 3-4 minutes - this is the time required to provision a new VM.

Hope that helps. Let me know how that worked.

5. 5 Posted by Jeff Klawiter on 05 Oct, 2016 01:26 PM

Feoder,

That worked perfectly.

Does the fix for vdproj include the registry entry so I do not need to edit it anymore?

6. Support Staff 6 Posted by Feodor Fitsner on 05 Oct, 2016 08:36 PM

Great to hear that!

Registry fix is not yet applied, but we'll make sure it's applied in the next image update.

7. Jeff Klawiter closed this discussion on 14 Feb, 2017 05:00 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac