echo "... env:APPVEYOR_REPO_TAG: $tag"
echo "... env:APPVEYOR_REPO_BRANCH: $branch"

if($tag -eq $true){
   conf "Production"
}
else{
  conf "Testing"
}

But appveyor is throwing an error saying that the cmdlet Set-AppveyorBuildVariable is not recognized, I modified a bit to pass to it directly the value "Testing" and the same result is thrown:

Set-AppveyorBuildVariable : The term 'Set-AppveyorBuildVariable' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, 
script file, or operable program. Check the spelling of the name, or if a path was included, verify that the path is 
correct and try again.
At C:\projects\onehack\setup-config.ps1:4 char:5
+     Set-AppveyorBuildVariable "configuration" "Testing"
+     ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo          : ObjectNotFound: (Set-AppveyorBuildVariable:String) [], CommandNotFoundException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : CommandNotFoundException

This was working with the os: Visual Studio 2015 but after we switched to os: Visual Studio 2017 it is not working anymore. Is there something I need to configure? Please any help here would be appreciated.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Feodor Fitsner on 08 Jun, 2017 04:54 PM

We'll fix that in the update coming this week.

For now, explicitly load AppVeyor module with:

import-module 'C:\Program Files\AppVeyor\BuildAgent\Modules\build-worker-api'

2. 2 Posted by yosbeleg89 on 08 Jun, 2017 06:06 PM

Great, this worked for me. Thank you very much!!!

3. 3 Posted by yosbeleg89 on 08 Jun, 2017 08:12 PM

Hmm, I have a question: When I set the configuration throw powershell msbuild is building the project with the Testing build configuration but it is applying the Debug transformation to the web.config, but if I set configuration: Testing to appveyor.yml everything is working as expected. Any ideas?

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by Ilya Finkelshte... on 08 Jun, 2017 08:35 PM

If I understand you correctly, you have publish_wap: true in your YAML and transformation in generated WAP package does not respect configuration environment variable you set? I afraid this is how our WAP packaging implemented now, it looks only for project build configuration when constructing msbuild command. Could you please explain your scenario and why you need to set configuration using environment variable? We will try to find workaround for you.

5. 5 Posted by yosbeleg89 on 08 Jun, 2017 08:50 PM

Yes, I have publish_wap: true in the YAML, the transformation does not respect the configuration environment. I have an script the decides where it should build production or testing configurations before deploying to the production or testing servers depending if the commit is from master or a specific branch, very similar to the example of the original issue:

Import-Module 'C:\Program Files\AppVeyor\BuildAgent\Modules\build-worker-api'

$branch = $env:APPVEYOR_REPO_BRANCH

function conf { param($config) Set-AppveyorBuildVariable "configuration" $config }

echo "... env:APPVEYOR_REPO_BRANCH: $branch"

if($branch -eq "testing-branch"){ conf "Testing" } else{ conf "Release" }

So, if it is the testing-branch the Testing configuration is set and the project is built with the Testing build configuration but the Web.Testing.config transformation is not applied instead the Web.Debug.config one is applied.

6. Support Staff 6 Posted by Ilya Finkelshte... on 08 Jun, 2017 08:52 PM

May be you can simple use per branch configuration?

7. 7 Posted by yosbeleg89 on 08 Jun, 2017 09:47 PM

Ok, it took me a while to achieve the whole transformation but I think I did now per branch configuration and it seems to be working. Thanks again for the help!.

8. 8 Posted by yosbeleg89 on 08 Jun, 2017 09:51 PM

The only think I did not liked is that I needed to put a lot a duplicated configurations per branch, is there a way to put all that only once?

9. Support Staff 9 Posted by Ilya Finkelshte... on 08 Jun, 2017 11:42 PM

Agree, we don't like this too. We have this feature request which we need to implement.

10. 10 Posted by yosbeleg89 on 09 Jun, 2017 02:12 PM

Great!, Thanks

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac