Load additional files outside of source control

austin

19 Jun, 2015 01:26 PM

I've got AppVeyor connected to my Visual Studio Online git account and it is pulling in the source code and building it properly and deploying it to Azure websites, but the last part I'm trying to figure out is how to update the Web.Config with the production information. I've got a Web.Release.config that I'd like to use, but I don't want to put it in source control because it has various passwords and api keys. I saw in the documentation (http://www.appveyor.com/docs/deployment/web-deploy#web-deploy-parametrization) where you can use the parameters.xml to replace pieces during the build process. We have a fairly complex Web.Release.Config transformation beyond just changing appSettings and connectionStrings. We update things like SMTP settings, etc. Does the parametrization support external files like...

<system.net>
  <mailSettings>
    <smtp configSource="config\smtp.config" />
  </mailSettings>
</system.net>

If so, how do I get that config file to AppVeyor if it isn't checked into source control? Is it possible to just drop our Web.Release.config into AppVeyor somewhere and have the build process use it? Could I create it using a pre-build script?

Thanks for your help. Really impressed with the product so far.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Feodor Fitsner on 21 Jun, 2015 03:02 AM

Hi Astin,

I'm working on a simple tool for encrypting/decrypting any files: https://github.com/appveyor/secure-file It's basically ready - I'm going to publish it on nuget in the coming day.

Using this tool you can encrypt a file, check-in it into your repository and then decrypt during the build. The only thing you need to supply during the build is "secret" - passphrase used to encrypt a file. Secret passhphrase could be put into environment variable.

Let me know if this is something that might work for you.

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by Feodor Fitsner on 21 Jun, 2015 03:03 AM

Alternatively, files could be put to some blob storage - Azure or S3.

3. Ilya Finkelshteyn closed this discussion on 25 Aug, 2018 01:57 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac