Cache size/config

matham

14 Sep, 2015 08:36 PM

Hi,

I have a few questions about the build cache.

1) It wasn't completely clear to me whether the overall total cache size is limited to 100MB, or if the limit applies for each file?

2) Is it possible to have a build cache specific for each build config? Because e.g. I would not need all python versions for each build, but rather each build would need a specific python version from the cache.

3) If the total size is 100MB across all build configs, what are ways to deal with builds that spend to much time downloading/extracting files. E.g. for our build, of the larger things we download is python, mingw-w64 from sourceforge (the possible pre-installed msys2 would not help because we needs a slightly different mingw than what comes with default msys2), and gstreamer. And of course both gstreamer and mingw come with a 64/32 bit versions needed for different build configs, so it would not fit in 100MB combined.

So what is the suggested way of dealing with this? Considering we're a OSS project and cannot afford currently to pay e.g. for Azure storage. The one thing that comes to mind is to cache these packages, e.g. on gdrive, which hopefully should be a quick download. Are there other methods to be aware of?

Thanks for the service!
Matt

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Feodor Fitsner on 14 Sep, 2015 08:48 PM

Yes, this is the size per file. Looks like the cache is not very suitable for your use case.

Alternatively, you may try putting your stuff on .vhdx (virtual disk), put that disk to gdrive (or any other storage like S2, Azure blob, etc.) and then just download and mount it with Mount-VHD cmdlet thus eliminating unpacking overhead.

2. matham closed this discussion on 24 Nov, 2015 01:50 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac