large projects

Boinst

14 Jan, 2014 04:09 AM

I have big C++/C# projects. They take ages to build and test. AppVeyor cannot possibly run my builds for only $79/month. What will AppVeyor do if I try to build my massive projects on your system?

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Feodor Fitsner on 14 Jan, 2014 04:14 AM

The next release (coming in January) will be running builds on clean dedicated VMs and have a different pricing based on the maximum number of concurrent build jobs.

To speedup your builds (and this is exactly what cloud CI may offer you - scale) you can break them into separate independent jobs (by environment variables, test categories, platform, etc.) to have a build matrix. Jobs run in parallel on several build VMs.

For example if I have 1000 tests that take 1 hour to complete and then break them into 5 groups I can potentially reduce overall build time to 12 minutes (provided my plan allows 5 concurrent builds)!

Let me know if this works for you.

2. 2 Posted by Boinst on 14 Jan, 2014 04:30 AM

Amazing! I can't wait to see what you come out with.

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Feodor Fitsner on 14 Feb, 2014 01:24 AM

Look at this guide: http://www.appveyor.com/docs2/parallel-testing - just published.

You can sign up for beta at: https://ci-beta.appveyor.com/signup - free plan with public repositories and one concurrent job.

Let me know if you want to test with multiple concurrent jobs.

4. 4 Posted by Ben on 14 Feb, 2014 01:32 AM

Feodor, is the pricing going to go up for more concurrent builds? That's the question I'm really keen to get a handle on: If I move all of my CI builds to AppVeyor, how much will I end up spending per month?

5. 5 Posted by Ben on 14 Feb, 2014 01:42 AM

Oh! I see now that there is pricing on the Beta page. May I assume that the pricing listed there will be fairly indicative of the final product?

6. Support Staff 6 Posted by Feodor Fitsner on 14 Feb, 2014 01:49 AM

Well, yes there is a pricing for final product.

We are switching away from shared build servers to dedicated VMs and this makes really great scenarios possible. Not to say about increased security and guaranteed performance! At the same we cannot keep the same pricing that was based on shared build servers.

7. 7 Posted by Ben on 14 Feb, 2014 02:14 AM

Great. The pricing on the beta page seems quite reasonable.

8. 8 Posted by cameron.taggart on 02 Mar, 2014 07:29 PM

Are there any time limits? The last three builds of FSharp.Data failed while the tests were executing. Is there a way to hook into the parallel testing from the FAKE build.fsx scripts?

9. Support Staff 9 Posted by Feodor Fitsner on 02 Mar, 2014 08:29 PM

Yes, it's 10 minutes for public projects on free plan. I'm increasing it to 30 minutes.
    Parallel testing requires Premium or Enterprise plans with 2 and 4 concurrent jobs accordingly.

Though you can split tests on free plan, but jobs will be running consequently.

10. Ilya Finkelshteyn closed this discussion on 25 Aug, 2018 01:37 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac