How to create separate build cache for each platform

jacobq

24 May, 2018 06:27 PM

I have a NodeJS (electron) project that gets built on multiple platforms (e.g. Linux & Windows) with the same appveyor.yml (and would like to keep it this way). However, some of the node_modules are platform-specific (i.e. compiled addons), such as node-serialport. Ideally, I'd like to cache node_modules between builds since installing dependencies seems to consume a significant amount of the build time, but I think the jobs are each overwriting each others' cache. Is there a way to specify that a separate cache be used for each image/platform?

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Ilya Finkelshte... on 24 May, 2018 06:40 PM

Cache is job-specific.Issue you maybe hit is that we have few network segments and each with it's own cache server. It can take several builds for cache to populate everywhere.

2. 2 Posted by jacobq on 24 May, 2018 08:32 PM

Ah, OK, so the VS2017 image will only get cached data from previous VS2017 builds and likewise for Ubuntu. That's what I want. There's one more part of this though, and that is that I would like to be able to select different directories to cache on different platforms/images/jobs. For example, instead of this:

cache:
      - "%LOCALAPPDATA%\\Yarn" # only works / has meaning on Windows

can I do something like this?

cache:
      Visual Studio 2017:
        - "%LOCALAPPDATA%\Yarn" # only applies to Visual Studio 2017 image/job

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Ilya Finkelshte... on 24 May, 2018 08:46 PM

Please try https://www.appveyor.com/docs/build-configuration/#specializing-mat.... Let us know how it goes. We implemented this feature exactly for cases like this. It is pretty new and we are very interested to hear how it is being used.

4. Ilya Finkelshteyn closed this discussion on 25 Aug, 2018 02:28 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac