ARM64 support in the default image?

acrichton

05 Oct, 2018 06:31 PM

Hello! Over at rust-lang/rust we're interested in adding support to Rust for AArch64 on Windows. Our CI is failing due to a pretty opaque error which we haven't fully investigated yet, but we suspect may be because ARM64 compilers may not be installed. So as a result, we were wondering, are the ARM64 compiler and libraries installed on the default image? If not, is there an image we can opt into with them? Failing that, you wouldn't happen to have a snippet we could execute today to install them?

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Feodor Fitsner on 05 Oct, 2018 06:55 PM

Hi Alex,

Is it a part of VS 2017 (preview?) that could be optionally installed?

2. 2 Posted by acrichton on 05 Oct, 2018 08:36 PM

I believe so yeah in that I've installed locally before. I don't actually know what set of components is necessary, I think I just checked all the checkboxes related to "arm64".

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Feodor Fitsner on 12 Oct, 2018 11:19 PM

Alex,

could you please take a look at the attached screen and compare with your local installation?

Wondering if Spectre ARM libs is what you are looking for.

4. 4 Posted by acrichton on 13 Oct, 2018 12:11 AM

To the best of my knowledge that should do the trick! On my machine where I've done some dabbling before I only see "Visual C++ compilers and libraries for ARM64" (and ARM, but I doubt that's required for aarch64 dev). I specifically don't have the spectre-related things install (I'm not even sure what those are), so I don't think they should be necessary for a bare minimum toolchain!

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by Feodor Fitsner on 13 Oct, 2018 01:34 AM

Actually, that screenshot is what we currently have enabled on VS 2017 workers. So, apparently, ARM is already enabled - I've been wondering what you have locally that it's building locally but not with us?

6. 6 Posted by acrichton on 15 Oct, 2018 09:21 PM

Oh dear, that sounds like the issue may be on our end then! I'm unfortunately away from my windows computer for a few weeks, so we'll try to keep following up on this from our end. Thanks so much for looking into this though!

7. Support Staff 7 Posted by Feodor Fitsner on 15 Oct, 2018 10:39 PM

Sure, let me know what you find!

-Feodor Fitsner, AppVeyor

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac