Is it possible to have two build environments communicate with one another?

Kevin Nowaczyk

30 Dec, 2019 05:56 PM

I have a project that requires a MS SQL Server database, but can run on either Windows or Linux. Is it possible to configure my Appveyor script such that both a linux and windows VM will start, and the Linux VM can connect to the sql server database on the windows build? I currently have a working script to run the database and application on the same windows VM.

If so, I would need connection information to the Windows environment, and I would need to make sure that the windows VM does not terminate until the linux build has completed running its tests. Is there an example of another project doing this that I can copy?

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Feodor Fitsner on 02 Jan, 2020 10:55 PM

Hi Kevin,

Currently, it's not guaranteed that two builds will be run on the same virtualization host, network or even cloud.

However, you can take Visual Studio 2019 image which has Docker with Linux support and then run SQL Server on a Windows host and Linux tests in Docker container.

We are also working on a new "custom build environments" feature where it will be possible to configure a separate isolated network for your builds.

2. Feodor Fitsner closed this discussion on 03 Apr, 2020 06:47 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac