Deploying changed files only (web application)?

emanuel.lundman

25 Sep, 2014 01:24 PM

Hi, is there a way to deploy only changed files of a website, and not all of them? Maybe this already is done automatically?
Often in our case the .net website only needs the new dll to be updated server side. Not the hundred small graphic, js-files etc that of course becomes part of the default project artifact package, since it's a package of the entire site, not just the changes since last time.
Does the agent or other deployment options take this in account server side?, so that only updated files are actually updated, and then usually just the web application dll?

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Feodor Fitsner on 25 Sep, 2014 07:21 PM

Well, Web Deploy is what you need. AppVeyor Deployment Agent synchronizes website contents using Web Deploy, so even it always downloads the entire application package it does not replace the entire app, but deploys changes only. You can see that in deployment log.

2. 2 Posted by emanuel.lundman on 25 Sep, 2014 09:33 PM

Ok. I'm not really sure what you're saying. What I gather is that the deployment agent shouldn't update all files, and neither should a web deploy deploy, is that correct?
    At the moment I'm trying out the agent with a web deploy artifact. I pushed a code change. Waited. Afterwards I checked the console log at the Deployment tab on the project pager. Console seems to tell me all files in the project are updated. (Total changes: 3115 (0 added, 0 deleted, 3115 updated,....)). Even though the majority, practically none , should have. Guess I've must have forgotten something or gotten something backwards. What more do I need to do to make sure only updating files that are changed? Reading wrong log? Do I need to switch away from the agent, or just tweak/install something on the server to make the web deploy work if that's what the agent can use?

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Feodor Fitsner on 25 Sep, 2014 11:19 PM

Yeah, that's strange. Web Deploy should do updates only. I will give it another try here to see if there are any issues. Will let you know about results.

4. 4 Posted by emanuel.lundman on 28 Sep, 2014 12:52 PM

Found something? Tried a couple of more times with same result as earlier.
    All files reported as updated. It's an old version of web application,
    built in vb.net. How does it compare files/know which ones to update?
    Agent/Webdeploy use some kind of hash solution? If it uses agent uses web
    deploy in the background and not just knows how to unpack the files in web
    deploy zip, should we make sure web deploy is installed on server and not
    just the agent and IIS?

26 sep 2014 kl. 01:19 skrev Feodor Fitsner <
    [email blocked]>:

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by Feodor Fitsner on 28 Sep, 2014 05:48 PM

Hi Emanuel,

You know, you are right. It always syncs all files and it could be reproduced for both Web Deploy and Agent environments.

Apparently, Web Deploy uses timestamps (in addition to checksums and attrs) to decide whether the file was change and every build packages files with updated timestamps as Git does not store this metainformation.

However, it seems there is "cure" to that. I will try something and let you know about results.

6. 6 Posted by emanuel.lundman on 28 Sep, 2014 06:52 PM

Glad there's a possible cure!
    Keeping my fingers crossed.
    Thanks! :)

28 sep 2014 kl. 19:48 skrev Feodor Fitsner <
    [email blocked]>:

7. Support Staff 7 Posted by Feodor Fitsner on 28 Sep, 2014 08:46 PM

OK, Web Deploy now uses checksums only for comparing files. Worked like a charm on our test projects (see attached screenshot).

Update Deployment Agent from here: http://www.appveyor.com/downloads/AppveyorDeploymentAgent.msi

Let me know if you have any questions.

8. Ilya Finkelshteyn closed this discussion on 25 Aug, 2018 01:48 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac