Deploying Multiple Winows Service Instances

huy

14 Jan, 2015 01:13 AM

Hi,

I have a single windows service and I would like to deploy multiple instances of the same service on one machine, each with their own configuration file.

Currently, we are using exclusively appveyor agent to deploy to our own AWS instances. I'm not sure how to approach this problem using our current setup.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Feodor Fitsner on 14 Jan, 2015 01:31 AM

Hm, I see what you mean. You can't have such configuration for Deployment Agent unless there are multiple similar artifacts, but with different name.

Alternatively, you can utilize deploy.ps1 and, basically, on deploy copy service package files to multiple folders, update their service.app.config (or wherever you store config) and create/update corresponding services (pretty easy with command line or PowerShell). Configuration could be sent through environment variables.

Hope that helps.

Other than that we are going to completely revamp Agent deployment in the coming months and I'll make sure the scenario you describe is supported.

2. 2 Posted by huy on 14 Jan, 2015 01:40 AM

Ah yes, please support multiple deployment and configuration transform or at least switching. Post deployment scripts & webhook would also be nice!

We just prefer to keep things transparent with our deployment tools and not introduce scripts. We're rather use menus and UI for simplicity; the main reason why we went with appveyor & not setup our own teamcity + octopus farm.

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Feodor Fitsner on 14 Jan, 2015 03:51 AM

OK, I see. Then for now I'd push the same artifact several times, but with different file names and deployment names (http://www.appveyor.com/docs/build-worker-api#push-artifact).

Deployment Agent became really popular and it's definitely asking for improvements, especially UI/configuration part.

4. 4 Posted by chris on 11 Sep, 2015 05:15 PM

I agree that this is an area I would love to see improvement in. I have some servers with dozens of apps on them...and in some cases, dev and production on the same server. This is really impractical to configure with the agents current limitations. Essentially, if I have 10 plans all generating artifacts for the same environment, that's a huge amount of configuration to maintain in the agent environment settings.

If you could bring those settings into the deployments tab, that would be incredibly useful. We could then easily use build conditions and better manage deployment configurations with multiple plans using the same agent. I would also suggest the ability to define a before and after powershell script inline on the interface which run on the agent. I too would like to avoid going back to the teamcity/bamboo/octopus route...appveyor saved me from that complexity and cost, but I just need a little bit more to get all the way there.

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by Feodor Fitsner on 12 Sep, 2015 12:38 AM

Thanks for the suggestions!

6. Ilya Finkelshteyn closed this discussion on 25 Aug, 2018 02:00 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac