Builds not triggered when merging a "build" branch into a "not build" branch

James Toyer

05 Dec, 2014 02:51 PM

I have a situation where I specify which branches I want to be built, generally this has been working as expected. A few weeks ago I noticed that builds were not always starting on these branches and it appeared there was no reason as to why they shouldn't start. After some digging today, I found what I think is a bug either with AppVeyor or Bitbucket (I'm not sure exactly where the responsibility lies).

If you push a branch, lets call it feature-a, that is not in the list of branches to build, no build is triggered. Now if merge, without creating a new commit, a branch that triggers building (master for example) into the feature-a branch and push it, a build is not triggered. If I make some changes and commit directly to the master branch, builds get triggered properly.

This behaviour is rather frustrating as I effectively have to make a commit after merging when a lot of the time it makes no sense to do this.

I hope this all makes sense

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Feodor Fitsner on 05 Dec, 2014 05:36 PM

Hi James,

What's going on here is that when you do merge branch "A" into "B" and then push BitBucket calls project webhook and tells "There was a push to branch B", but "B" is configured to skip builds. BitBucket webhook (and GH one too, AFAIK) does not contain the information that the push was a result of branch "A" merged into "B".

Maybe this functionality could be available as part of BitBucket Pull Requests (which are currently not supported by AV).

You can just allow builds for "B".

2. James Toyer closed this discussion on 10 Feb, 2015 02:12 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac