Build not starting for project

Chaim Eliyah

10 May, 2019 05:30 AM

I am trying to implement an appveyor.yml for my repository (which is a fork). I see a bunch of stuff online about webhooks but it's all old. The current documentation seems to indicate that I _should_ be able to build from a branch, and I've got the build settings currently set to "all branches." Here is the project's repo:

https://github.com/chaim1221/Machete/tree/feature/multi-database

Here's the build:

https://ci.appveyor.com/project/savagelearning/machete-k8wo2

(That's the branch I want to build, and the one with the appveyor.yml)

I have tried toggling a few settings and editing a couple of things in appveyor.yml but honestly I don't know what's wrong. It's supposed to build all the branches.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

1. 1 Posted by Chaim Eliyah on 10 May, 2019 08:48 AM

So, I got a build to happen by setting the default branch to the one I wanted to build and triggering it manually. Now it just stops on the wrong step. It says it is executing the before_build and build_script steps but they are greyed out and it doesn't actually do anything.

2. 2 Posted by Chaim Eliyah on 10 May, 2019 09:17 AM

Okay I think we're up and running here. Thanks for making this feature available!

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Owen McDonnell on 10 May, 2019 04:54 PM

As you seem to have discovered, the default branch is what is used when a build is triggered manually through the UI.
    If you push to a branch that has a yml config file the UI settings will be mostly* ignored.
    As for build pipeline. Unless you have build: off set in your yaml, those steps should both run.

*see details here

4. 4 Posted by Chaim Eliyah on 11 May, 2019 02:56 AM

Sure, but don't you think it's kind of a problem that if the default branch doesn't contain the appveyor.yml that the build just doesn't trigger at all?

Also, I just pushed several commits at once and the build isn't triggering at all, for any of the commits. So far my impression is that this is very buggy. I can try another manual build but how many manual builds am I going to have to do? Is this a regular thing?

5. 5 Posted by Chaim Eliyah on 11 May, 2019 02:58 AM

Never mind, that was operator error. It's working now.

6. Owen McDonnell closed this discussion on 18 May, 2019 12:34 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac