No webhook url in new project

ksbeattie

11 Sep, 2019 10:12 PM

How do you create a project with the webhook url needed to trigger builds from github?

Thanks,
ksb

1. 1 Posted by Owen McDonnell on 12 Sep, 2019 03:09 AM

Can you clarify what you mean. If you've authorized AppVeyor under Account settings -> Authorizations then adding a new project will add a webhook to the repo.

2. 2 Posted by ksbeattie on 12 Sep, 2019 04:55 AM

I am authorized, but creating a new (AppVeyor) project does not create a new webhook in the corresponding github repo. Nor does the webhook url show up in the AppVeyor project's Setting -> General page (like older projects I had working before show).

Somehow though, it is working. PRs in the github repo do trigger a new build in AppVeyor. (I discovered this after giving up on AppVeyor and setting things up CircleCI).

What is the mechanism now used to trigger builds, if not webhooks? I do have AppVeyor installed as a GitHub App in the repo. Does that entirely replace webhooks?

3. 3 Posted by Owen McDonnell on 12 Sep, 2019 02:11 PM

Yes, with GitHub app a centralized webhook is used instead of specific ones being placed in any added repo.

Here is the blog post about GH app integration.

4. 4 Posted by ksbeattie on 12 Sep, 2019 08:53 PM

Ok, thanks. That really helps.

Might I suggest that you try to make that distinction clearer in your intro/getting started docs? I spent the better part of a day flailing around this, only to give up and switch to CircleCi - which then revealed there was some new magic at play.

The convenience is nice, but the opaqueness makes it difficult to asses the security implications.

5. 5 Posted by Owen McDonnell on 12 Sep, 2019 11:15 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. Revising the docs are actually somewhat of a top priority at the moment.

6. Owen McDonnell closed this discussion on 12 Sep, 2019 11:15 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac