How to get <Version> from .csproj into artifact zipfile's name

T Dahl

20 Apr, 2019 08:38 PM

For a .Net Core 3 C# project I have successfully set up a build process with artifact upload via SFTP.
How can I include the <Version> statement in the .csproj file as a part of the zipfile's name that is uploaded? E.g. "mybuild-v1.0.0.0.zip"
I know I can specify for example (under Artifacts):
Path: consoleapp1\bin\debug\netcoreapp3.0
Name: files%APPVEYOR_BUILD_VERSION%
But this is Appveyor's version, and not the project version itself.
Is the solution to write a script that manually extracts the <Version> value from the xml file into an environment variable and then refer to that? Or is it a built in appveyor way?

1. 1 Posted by T Dahl on 21 Apr, 2019 08:17 AM

To answer myself here I can add that this Before Build PS script works:
    nuget restore
    [xml]$cn = Get-Content consoleapp1\consoleapp1.csproj
    $Env:vn += $cn.Project.PropertyGroup.Version

I can then create an artifact with the Deployment name file%cn% and %cn% is replaced with the version string from the csproj file.
    However, I wonder if there is a better way?

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by Ilya Finkelshte... on 22 Apr, 2019 05:01 PM

You can do it other way around using .csproj patching.

Some more details: Variables {version}, {build}, {branch} are shortcuts implemented specifically to use with patching. Use them exactly as described (in {} curly brackets).

All other environment variables can be used too, but use them using standard environment variable notation -- $(variable).

But if you are going to bake version in .csproj, we have no solution better than what you already figured out.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac